On the banks of Zululand's, Mkuze River you can find 10 000 hectares of prime game reserve. In Zulu, Amakhosi means "The Place of the Kings", the service, luxury and dramatic surroundings bear testimony to its name.
The varied ecosystem of savannah, mountains and wetlands allow for quality Big Five game viewing as well as cheetah, giraffe, warthog, hyena and more than 17 kinds of antelope including the magnificent Nyala and rare red duiker.
click here for booking at AMAKHOSI LODGE
The wetlands area is an ideal ecosystem inhabited by crocodile, Hippopotamus and over 430 species of birds.
At the Heart of AmaKhosi Lodge is the most luxurious blend of river frontage, thatched patios, fine dining, ladies bar and lounge accompanied by a library and swimming pool.
These African thatched-roof buildings bring together service and tranquility fit for a king.
On these river banks, the magnificent six river lodges share the indulgence of the African game drinking to their fill.
Luxury in it's Purest form, trancends both the material and the sensual. Each of the six regal River lodges rests in harmony with its magnificent sorroundings.
Here, after a long day of exhilarating Game viewing, you can journey into dreams as thatch ceilings reach for the sky with expansive glass walls.
Early morning and late afternoon guided game drives lead you into the African bush, observe the nocturnal animals and their fascinating behaviour. The abundance of flora and fauna always reveals something interesting, both on the ground and in the air.
Qualified game rangers introduce you the the unique role each animal plays in the massive stage of the African Kingdom.
For those who prefer to relax at the camp there is a library, swimming pool, game viewing deck and an outdoor lounge overlooking the Mkuze River.
A private function room and conference centre is also available at Amakhosi Lodge.
From Johannesburg [5 hours]
- exit from Johannesburg on the Witbank N4
- take the Middelburg exit to Hendrina
- continue towards Ermelo on the N11
- continue towards Piet Retief on the N2
- stay on the N2 North until you reach Pongola
From Durban [4.½ hour]
- exit from Durban to Stanger on the N2 North
- staying on the N2 North, continue past Empangeni to Pongola
- From Pongola [½ hour]
- turn down the R66 to Nongoma
- continue for ± 22 km past Magudu sign on your left
- turn right at the R69 towards Vryheid
- continue for 2 km & turn left down gravel road.
- Follow the AmaKhosi Lodge signs
Royal treatment offered at Amakhosi Lodge is the fully inclusive rate that not only includes brunch (Late Breakfast), High Tea (Late Lunch) and Dinner, but also includes your morning and late afternoon game drives, sundown cocktails in the bush, all local alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.
- Accommodation in luxury river suite
- Brunch (late breakfast)
- High Tea (late lunch)
- All local beverages
- Two game drives with qualified game rangers
- Children 0 – 5 years free of charge
- Children 6 – 12 years 50% of the sharing adult rate, if sharing with adults
- Children 13 years and above, full adult rate
- It is not advisable for Children below the age of 7 years to join scheduled early morning & afternoon game drives, alternative arrangements can be made upon arrival with your ranger.
- Baby sitting facilities are available @ R20-00 per hour
- Air-conditioned luxury bedroom, with separate lounge with sleeper couch, bar fridge, tea & coffee facilities. Bathroom with candles, bath salts & bathrobes. Private viewing deck.
- deposit due is 50% of the total accommodation amount payable 30 days before arrival.
- 8-30 days before arrival, 50% cancellation fee
- 0-7 days before arrival, 75% cancellation fee